Why More Needs to be Done About Children’s Safety Online
Social media has not been designed with children’s safety in mind. The algorithms and persuasive design strategies used by big technology companies pose multiple risks to an audience of vulnerable young people – and something needs to change. How exactly, though, could these platforms be harmful, and what are the implications for children’s safety, security and privacy?
Five experts in children’s online safety discuss the current issues and why more needs to be done.
- Jenny Afia, Partner, Schillings
- Damian Collins MP, Chair of the Joint Committee on the Draft Online Safety Bill
- Baroness Beeban Kidron, Founder and Chair, 5 Rights Foundation
- Sara Henley, Clinical Consultant, Theseus
- Victoria Baines, Professor of IT, Gresham College